Pahrump Valley Times
Upcoming workshops, activities for UNCE and other events are listed here.
The Pahrump Arts Council has two activities planned in the near future.
• PAC board member Warren Dowler will teach a class on photographing the human face from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. each Wednesday evening from Jan. 9 to Jan. 30. The classes will be held in the upstairs conference room of the American 1st National Bank, 3340 S. Highway 160.
The only supplies needed are a camera and a tripod. Call 751-0798 for information and to register.
• Spring Mountain Art Guild will offer a pastel pointers workshop from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Jan. 26 at the library.
Maggie Brown-Shoosmith will teach the class. The cost is $35 and coffee will be provided. Participants should bring snacks or a light lunch.
Call 727-1790 for information or to register.
• The University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners will offer a pruning workshop at 9 a.m., Jan 19 at the garden, 1651 E. Calvada Blvd.
The workshop will cover roses, trees and shrubs. It is a hands-on event so bring gloves, hand pruners or hand saws. Call 727-5532 for more information.
• Also, in an effort to reduce waste and help the environment, UNCE is recycling Christmas trees through Jan. 19.
Nye County will be chipping the trees for use as mulch in the demonstration garden.
Don’t forget to remove tinsel, ornaments and lights. There is a designated drop off area at the south end of the parking lot.
• The Pahrump Singles Friendship Club is beginning a new year with a new board leading the activities.
The group schedules fun events and meets for lunch or dinner several times a month.
Members are mostly 50-plus but young at heart.
The planning potluck will be at 5 p.m., Jan. 5 at the UNCE offices on Calvada Boulevard and Dandelion Street.
Call Carol, 727-7384 for more information.
• NyE Communities Coalition Campus Cafe is open from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Wednesday through Friday at 1021 E. Wilson Road.
• Also, NyECC is planning an exercise program to help meet those New Year’s resolutions. Take a Walk with Americorps with coach Barrie Fenton will begin at 1 p.m., Jan. 5 at Mountain Falls. The group meets in front of the Grill Room.
Participants will pick their own distance from 1k, 5k, or 10k.