By Mark Waite
The consent agenda for the Nye County Commission meeting at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Nye County Government Center is loaded with items, all of which can be passed in a single motion.
The consent agenda is normally reserved for non-controversial items that aren’t likely to generate discussion.
Among the consent agenda items up for approval:
* Commissioners will consider going out for bids for the reconstruction of Dandelion Street from Highway 160 to Calvada Boulevard and for constructing improvements at the intersection of Highway 160 and Homestead Road. There would also be funding for a permanent traffic signal at that intersection. Both projects will be taken out of the road department budget funded by the local gas tax.
* The first change order with Layton Construction Company, construction manager at risk for the county jail project, is up for approval, a $359,410 add-on for the project pick list. Layton was awarded the $16.6 million contract for the 225-bed jail last fall.
* The appointment of Gary Atkerson, Joe Cohan and Joe DeLee to the Amargosa Valley town board is scheduled on the consent agenda. The three were elected in an unofficial town election last November.
* Another $88,978 would be added to the county minor road inventory project undertaken by Commissioner Lorinda Wichman, making a total cost of $200,000, if another consent agenda item is approved.
* Commissioners will go shopping for $39,361 in props and equipment for the new multipurpose training facility. The $293,705 training facility at 2871 E. Mesquite Ave. for local fire departments and emergency management services was approved by the board last spring. The county will now consider buying metal shade between tactical training and fire flashover props, a storage container, a portable energy trailer system with 10 solar panels and a Keiser Force machine.
* A $70,000 Nevada Commission on Economic Development grant is up for approval.
* A $32,231 payment from AT&T to reimburse Nye County for charges by Frontier Communications to operate the 911 system is on the agenda, along with a three-year agreement with Frontier Communications.
* Commissioners are requesting assistance from the attorney general’s office in prosecuting a criminal case.
* A letter of support for the Arizona Nevada Tower Corporation’s application to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Community Connect program for a grant to bring wireless broadband service to Gabbs is on the consent agenda.
On the regular agenda, the district attorney has requested action on enforcing provisions of a subdivision improvement, maintenance and warrant agreement for the Ishani Ridge subdivision.
At 11:30 a.m. the U.S. Air Force will make a presentation on the Jaded Thunder exercise.
A presentation on the 2010 Prevent All Crashes Every Day PACE Program is scheduled at 11:15 a.m.
The abolishment of a countywide planning commission dating back to the 1960s is on the agenda at 10:50 a.m. It is not the Pahrump Regional Planning Commission.
A $20,000 memorandum of agreement with the Rural Nevada Development Corporation to fulfill an economic development contract is on the agenda. The commissioners recently severed an economic development agreement with EDEN Inc., out of which the RNDC had been paid $20,000 for business consulting services.
Bids totaling $45,559 for the trenchwork and installation of fiber optic cable to the buildings and grounds facility are up for approval, to be funded by the Yucca Mountain settlement agreement.
The Nuclear Waste Repository Office Director has requested approval to coordinate stakeholders and make plans to prepare a proposal to the U.S. Department of Energy for an energy park at the Amargosa Valley Science and Technology Park.
Round Mountain town officials have asked for $200,000 to $250,000 to expand their public safety building.
The Nye County Water District has asked for $20,000 to cover operating expenses until June 30.
An interlocal contract with the State of Nevada Department of Public Safety for sharing Geographic Information System data is on the agenda.