Yahoo Weather

You are here

Fire destroys two manufactured homes

<p>Selwyn Harris / Pahrump Valley Times - Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services responded to this structure fire on Lola Lane Sunday evening. A preliminary investigation has led PVFRS to believe it began accidentally and may have been related to a space heater that was in the home.</p>

Selwyn Harris / Pahrump Valley Times - Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services responded to this structure fire on Lola Lane Sunday evening. A preliminary investigation has led PVFRS to believe it began accidentally and may have been related to a space heater that was in the home.

Local firefighters responded to two structure fires this weekend that left two homes, one occupied and one abandoned, damaged in their wake.

Early Sunday evening Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services were requested at an address on Lola Lane for a report of a structure fire.

A medic crew just leaving the hospital was first to arrive on scene when first responders reportedly found a well-involved structure fire in a single-wide manufactured home at the address.

All occupants were able to safely evacuate the home as firefighters quickly got the flames under control and extinguished the blaze, fire officials say.

No injuries were reported and Fire Chief Scott Lewis said preliminary investigation results have led investigators to believe the fire was started accidentally.

“The investigation is underway. There’s early indication it was an accidental fire, possibly related to a space heater. But we’re still looking at that,” he said.

As of Monday the investigation into that incident remained ongoing.

Two days prior to Sunday night’s fire, PVFRS were also called out to an address near the end of Lorelie Street around midnight Friday for another report of a structure fire as well.

Lewis said PVFRS received several calls about the fire from concerned neighbors in the area, but no exact address was given to firefighters as they rushed to the scene.

After they were able to locate the blaze, Lewis said they discovered an abandoned detached manufactured dwelling that was completely engulfed in flames.

Firefighters worked quickly to put the fire out, but Lewis said it appeared the fire had gone unnoticed for some time before they arrived on scene, and the manufactured home was badly burned in the incident.

As of Monday afternoon, the fire remained under investigation.

Lewis said it was unclear at that time as to whether the fire was set intentionally or if it was accidental.

“It was an unoccupied structure and it didn’t have any utilities attached to it. The only thing is some of the other trailers on that property looked like they were being decommissioned or cut up. So we don’t know if it was related to someone dismantling it and then leaving it unmonitored or if someone intentionally ignited it,” he explained.

Although flames could reportedly be seen throughout the southern part of the valley that evening, Lewis said their were no injuries to report from the incident.