By Kelsey Givens
Local firefighters responded to a blaze that broke out inside a home on Robin Street Wednesday morning.
Fire Chief Scott Lewis said Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services were dispatched to a residence in the 1800 block just after 9 a.m. for a report of a structure fire.
When fire crews arrived, they discovered a single-wide manufactured home with an additional attached structure showing heavy fire conditions inside.
Using a defensive exterior attack, PVFRS put out the flames within a matter of six or seven minutes, Lewis said, preventing further extension of the flames to other nearby areas.
All occupants who were inside the home prior to the start of the fire were out by the time first responders arrived on scene.
As the flames continued to burn throughout the structure, live ammunition inside the home began to explode.
Though none of the residents were reportedly injured in the incident, PVFRS Lt. Steve Moody was struck in the hand by one of the bullets ignited by flames inside the home, Lewis said. Luckily the bullet did not break the skin or the lieutenant’s glove and he was not seriously injured by the ammunition.
After the flames had been extinguished, an on-site investigation by firefighters reportedly determined that the fire appeared to be accidental in nature and possibly caused when the home’s water heater malfunctioned.
The residence sustained major damages in the fire, making it uninhabitable for its residents. The family has since reportedly gone to stay with other family.
Lewis said the injury sustained by Moody was a good reminder to PVFRS team members that they need to approach every fire with caution as they never know what could be inside the structure they’re dealing with.
“It was a good reminder about the importance of scene safety and using extreme caution in these types of situations,” he said.