By Kelsey Givens
Firefighters were called to respond to an early morning fire Tuesday on Blagg Road after two space heaters plugged into the same extension cord overloaded, causing a trailer to catch fire.
Fire Chief Scott Lewis said Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services Tender Five responded to the call shortly before 8 a.m. at a property located at 3881 North Blagg Road.
When they arrived, heavy smoke and fire conditions could be seen coming from within a fifth wheel trailer, which they then immediately commenced an interior attack upon, quickly knocking the flames down.
All occupants inside the home prior to the start of the fire were accounted for, and there were no injuries to report from the incident.
Once the fire had been fully extinguished, firefighters began to investigate the scene to determine what may have been the cause of the flames.
As they searched through the interior of the residence they reportedly discovered two space heaters, set to high temperature settings, plugged into the same extension cord.
Lewis said that extension cord was then covered by a blanket that helped trap the heat, causing the extension cord to overheat electrically and subsequently ignite nearby combustibles, such as paper.
Lewis said PVFRS would like to remind everyone to make sure they follow manufacturer instructions when using space heaters in their homes.
“This is our message: Unattended space heaters can be dangerous. You need to follow the instructions about never using extension cords, never plugging multiple high energy devices together and linking them, because it can overload electrical circuits,” he said.
“The owner of the property, who was not involved, graciously allowed us to retain this so we can send this message out to everybody, the use of space heaters, while in the short term may be an appropriate alternative to whole house heating, they have to be used responsibly, within the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations of how to use them, including not using things like extension cords.”