A family of four are trying to put their lives back together after a late-morning fire destroyed their home on Monday.
Fire Chief Scott Lewis said the fire started in a detached garage at a residence along the 3300 block of West Basin, and quickly spread.
Though the family, three adults and one child, escaped unharmed, several family pets succumbed to the fire.
A vehicle inside the garage was also destroyed by flames.
“The fire was initially reported to be a garage that was well-involved,” he said. “Once crews exited the fire station and within a minute of that notification, we immediately observe a large, dark smoke column developing in that area.”
After completing a scene size-up and risk assessment, Lewis said the fire began to quickly spread to a single-wide manufactured home on the property as crews were suppressing the flames.
“I found that the fire had extended into the primary dwelling, which was a single-wide manufactured dwelling with enclosed proximity,” he said. “Before I could even complete a circle around that building, it had fully involved the entire side of that primary dwelling.”
As crews continued to apply an exterior attack on the garage, Lewis said additional crews commenced an interior attack on the primary dwelling and managed to knock down the fire.
He noted that the family will need temporary assistance after the loss of their home.
“The occupants included three adults and one child and were all accounted for upon arrival,” he said. “There were several pets that were thought to be lost in that fire. We are working with the American Red Cross to assist those occupants.”
Lewis also said the cause of the fire appeared to be accidental in nature.
“The initial investigation has indicated that it was most likely and accidental fire related to the use of a welder in the garage.”
Contact reporter Selwyn Harris at email@example.com