The Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association announced yesterday, late in the afternoon that it had disqualified Pahrump Valley’s girls soccer team from tournament activity and forfeited all of the Trojans games.
The NIAA’s assistant director, Donnie Nelson, said Pahrump Valley’s team had to forfeit its games due to an ineligible player situation and of course would not release names or details. He only said that this was the prescribed penalty.
“We had to act fast to let the teams involved know, so that they could prepare for the teams they would now face in the playoffs,” Nelson said.
He said details might follow.
“It’s harsh and I feel badly about this and it’s an unfortunate situation,” Nelson said.
He is referring to the forfeit aspect, which gives Pahrump an 0-19 record for all their hard work this season.
Pahrump Valley High School principal Chris Brockman confirmed what Nelson said, but did not give any other information.
“I want everyone to know that the coach and the students were not at fault,” Brockman said.
The Lady Trojans would have returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2013, which was the year the team finished as state runner-up. This was also the best record the girls had finished with (12-6-1) since that time. The team had been scheduled to play Virgin Valley in the playoffs on Wednesday.
Contact sports editor Vern Hee at firstname.lastname@example.org