An overabundance of lint in a home dryer is believed to be cause of a structure fire on Tuesday, Dec. 6.
Pahrump Valley Fire and Rescue Chief Scott Lewis said crews were dispatched to the 4600 block of Santovito Street after residents reported smoke coming from a residence in the area.
“Upon arrival, our Engine 3 crew found smoke showing from the structure and established it as a working fire,” he said. “Once additional units arrived on location, they commenced an interior attack and found that a dryer fire had occurred in the ductwork with the lint contained therein.”
Crews, Lewis said, managed to contain the fire within the area of the dryer, thus preventing the fire from spreading.
“It did not extend into the primary dwelling but there was a light to moderate smoke conditions throughout the residence which was easily ventilated,” he said. “It appears there was just an overabundance of lint in the dryer vent.”
The fire chief also reminded homeowners to check their respective dryers for a buildup of lint to prevent similar incidents.
“If you notice you have an overabundance of lint, you obviously want to remove it,” he said. “You can usually get a pretty good indicator where it collects on the bottom and if you notice a large amount, you can take those covers off and run a vacuum cleaner extension wand down in that area.”
Additionally, Lewis said in some cases residents may want to check the duct work on the dryer for lint buildup.
“If you notice an overaccumulation of lint, you should replace it if feasible, or clean it out yourself,” he said. “We always remind people not to use a dryer when they are not home.”
On Thursday, Dec. 8, Lewis said crews were dispatched to the 5600 block of Tecopa Street after a driver plowed through a home just before 6 p.m.
“Upon arrival, crews found a vehicle had in fact, driven through the garage door of the residence,” he said. “While the door totally collapsed on the vehicle, there was no entrapment and the occupant of the vehicle was transported to Desert View Hospital. The occupants inside the home did not sustain injuries.”
On Saturday, Dec. 10, fire crews were dispatched to Bannavitch Street and West Charleston Park Avenue for a motor vehicle accident and rescue assignment, just before 12:30 p.m.
“Upon arrival, we found that there was no entrapment, however it was a T-bone type collision with injuries but both parties declined to be medically transported,” he said.
The following afternoon, fire crews were dispatched for a mutual-aid assignment involving an ATV just after 2 p.m.
“That was along the Tecopa Highway at the California-Nevada border,” Lewis said. “The injuries sustained were the result of an ATV accident that occurred in the desert area. A quick assessment revealed that the patient met flight criteria and Mercy Air 24 was brought to the scene. That patient was transported to UMC Trauma.”
Roughly two hours later, fire crews were summoned to Highway 160 in Clark County for a single-vehicle rollover crash at 2:30 p.m.
“This was also a mutual aid assignment at mile marker 26,” he said. “It was reported to be an ejection and upon arrival, crews found the occupant out of the vehicle and that patient’s assessment met flight criteria. Mercy Air 21 was brought to the scene and transported that patient to UMC Trauma.”