88°F
weather icon Partly Cloudy

Mold at Beatty High School gym given all clear sign

During the last rain in Beatty on Sept. 8, maintenance workers found what they thought was mold in the boys’ locker room showers.

Beatty Principal Gary Flood said the district was notified and responded the next day. “I called the district and on Tuesday the district sealed off the area. The ventilation was closed and the shower room was sealed off,” he said.

Nye County School District Operations Manager Cameron McRae confirmed workers did uncover some mold in the boys’ shower room at Beatty High School gym and it was quickly contained and removed.

“We found some black mold on the encapsulated side of the drywall in the boys’ locker room at the Beatty High School gym,” McRae said in a frustrated tone. “We did not have to remove the drywall and the mold is contained.

“If we had opened it up, there is always the possibility of mold spores. Initially we closed the locker room off immediately and the gym itself was left open. We called the appropriate contractor and they contained it and sealed it off so they could use the locker room. They came back in the morning and tested the space they were working in. They do that before they close it all up to be sure there is no residual issues and during that time they use a HEPA filtering system to filter the air of any potential mold spores that have become airborne when the drywall and insulation became disturbed.”

McRae said the mold never endangered any of the students. “There was mold, and it was growing on the inside of the drywall. We closed the room down and did the remediation and the gym was never closed. Until we exposed it and found it, it did not pose any health issue. At this point they are closing it all up because all is well at the Beatty boys’ shower room,” McRae said.

This is the third mold issue the district has discovered this year. All of the mold events were handled appropriately and quickly and he emphasized that the students were never in any danger.

“We had the same issue when the rain event happened here. We found mold in a storage room and in one of the classrooms at Rosemary Clarke Middle School. Same thing that happened in Beatty happened in Pahrump.

“We immediately closed it off and we called the remediation people and they did the testing and the restoration and all is well. The one location at Rosemary Clarke this was the second time for that location because when we took it apart it was apparent that it had rain damage sometime in its history before I came here. So we dealt with it a second time.”

McRae said he was not down-playing the mold issues. He said he had been around this for a long time. “Mold is everywhere. There are types of mold that are more of a concern for those who have existing respiratory problems and other types of issues. If we had not gone in to correct the water damage could that mold have grown to become an issue? Yes. I could not say no, that would be inappropriate. How much and how long is the question? There really is no way of knowing because not every water intrusion turns into a mold event,” he said.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nevadans heading to Kentucky to help with flooding relief

Two Southern Nevada Red Cross volunteers, a Pahrump resident and a Las Vegas resident, have deployed to Eastern Kentucky to help with disaster relief efforts from the massive flooding in the area.

California woman dies from shot to the head

A California woman died Monday after being treated for a gunshot wound at Desert Valley View Hospital in Pahrump, according to reports from the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office in California.

 
COVID-19 downturn stretches to a month

Both hospitalizations and cases continue to decline.

Sportsman’s Quest: Going to places less hunted

The hunting season has begun with the Pronghorn Antelope opening the first of August. All of the well-known areas are full of hunters making opening day on the prairie looking like a pumpkin patch, due to the many hunters and their blaze orange hats.

1 person hospitalized following structure fire

One person was transported to Desert View Hospital following a structure fire on Saturday, July 30.

Purple Heart Day ceremony to honor injured and fallen heroes

National Purple Heart Day, marked on Aug. 7 each year, presents the country with an opportunity to honor those who enlisted in the U.S. armed forces and bravely took up the mantle of defenders of freedom, only to suffer an injury or worse, lose their lives in the line of duty.