Pahrump Valley Fire and Rescue Services crews were met with a mixed bag of service calls throughout the past week.
Fire Chief Scott Lewis said crews were dispatched to the 1700 block of West Jarvis Street on Oct. 25, for a late morning brush fire.
“Upon arrival, crews found a moderate-sized, unattended, smoldering brush fire which was easily extinguished,” he said. “There were no immediate structure exposures and there were no injuries reported.”
Later that day, fire crews were summoned to the area of Carpenter Canyon just before 3 p.m. for a lost person.
“That individual had an unknown medical issue,” Lewis noted. “Crews located the person and transported that individual to the local hospital. Our off-road vehicles were utilized to access that patient, who was an older individual.”
Man on roadway
Several hours later crews were dispatched to the area of Pahrump Valley Boulevard and Jeanne Street for a reported pedestrian versus motor vehicle collision just before 8 p.m.
“Upon arrival crews found a person who was on the roadway claiming to have been struck by a vehicle,” Lewis said. “There was some trauma to that individual’s head. We checked the status of Mercy Air. However, they were unavailable as they were on another flight. That patient was subsequently transported to Desert View Hospital.”
On Thursday afternoon, October 26, fire crews were dispatched to the VA clinic at 220 South Lola Lane for an unknown hazardous condition.
“Upon arrival, the investigation revealed that a dry sewer trap allowed sewer gases to enter the building,” Lewis said. “After applying some water into that trap, the water eliminated the issue and the structure was ventilated without incident.”
Also on Thursday, crews were dispatched to the desert area east of town for an individual who came into contact with a toxic substance, just after 4:30 p.m.
“This was in the area of Wheeler Pass and Powerline Road,” Lewis said. “After several location updates from dispatch, we located a person in the area commonly known as the ‘homeless camps.’ That person had spilled muriatic acid upon herself as she was carrying and transporting a container. We performed a…decontamination effort on site and also transported that patient to Desert View Hospital, who opened up their decontamination room. All necessary precautions were taken without incident.”
Later that evening, fire crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire along the 1000 block of East Bourbon Street at 10:20 p.m.
“Upon arrival, crews found a mostly extinguished kitchen fire which had extended to the interior wall surfaces and cabinetry,” Lewis said. “That fire was quickly controlled without incident. There was no further extension and no injuries.”
On Saturday, October 28, crews were dispatched to the intersection of ManseRoad and Julie Street for an injury motor vehicle collision just before 10:30 a.m.
“Upon arrival, we found the vehicle upright, however, there was significant damage to the passenger side of the vehicle,” Lewis said. “It included two wheel rims with no tread on them. There was one occupant in the vehicle who was not entrapped. He was medically assessed and transported to the local hospital.”
The following day, fire crews responded to a motorcyclist encountering medical issues while out on a ride at 3:30 p.m.
“We were dispatched for an off-road motor vehicle accident on the dry lake bed south of Homestead Road near Silver Street,” Lewis said. “Upon arrival, crews found a motorcyclist who had incurred an apparent medical issue that caused him to lay the bike down. Mercy Air was unavailable due to being on another flight. That patient was subsequently transported to the local hospital.”
As a postscript, statewide fire restrictions have been lifted by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, along with the Nevada Department of Forestry.
The action prompted Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue to remove its annual burn moratorium, effective at 8 a.m. today.
Contact reporter Selwyn Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @sharrispvt on Twitter.