49°F
weather icon Clear

Commissioners vote down extension on development agreement

Nye County commissioners rejected the extension of time for the development agreement between Nye County and Wilson Capital Nevada for the Pine Lakes Estates development in Pahrump.

Commissioners rejected the bill because “the project has been going on for five years and will probably be going on for another five years.”

“Staff will not recommend approval if we have too many unanswered questions,” Nye County Planning Director Darrell Lacy said.

The development agreement for the subject parcel located at 440 E. Wilson Road in Pahrump was originally approved on Sept. 28, 2011 and expired on Sept. 28, 2016. No construction has occurred at the site.

“The agreement has had very little activity done for this project, if any,” Lacy said.

Wilson Capital Nevada requested a modification to the existing agreement for the Pine Lakes Estates development to allow a time extension of the development agreement for an additional five years.

The initial approval was for an RV park. However, there were discussions about changing it to a mobile home park, Lacy said. Nye County recently updated its design standards for RV parks and is currently looking at changing its mobile home park standards.

Also, the property is adjacent to but not in the Utilities, Inc. of Central Nevada service territory. Lacy said officials don’t know how the developer plans to provide water and sewer for the property.

“There are a few issues regarding utilities and infrastructure available here. However the zoning is such that you can come back at any time in the future and ask for this development under the current development standards that were being affected at that time,” Lacy said.

Darrin Pappa of Las Vegas-based Megacon, who represented Wilson Capital Nevada at the meeting, said the company wants to get an extension of time for the development agreement.

“Although my background with the project is limited, I do know that development plans have been prepared, and a drainage study, traffic study with the intent of building this project,” Pappa said. “I believe public works has a lot of the documents on file, so there has been money that was put forward to develop the site. Then the economy tanked, and then, in addition to that, there was some litigation with the project that tied it up within about the last year or year-and-a-half or so.”

The voting down doesn’t preclude the applicant from submitting a new development agreement to Nye County, officials said.

“We have no problem working with the developer, but we would like to nail down the specifics. We need answers to important questions – is it a mobile home park, what design standards, water and sewer issues, how soon do you plan to build, etc.,” Lacy said.

“We do not want to stop all development but what staff recommends should be in conformance with new water conservation standards and the master plan with a time limit on the approvals to encourage actual construction and jobs, not land speculation,” he said.

Contact reporter Daria Sokolova at dsokolova@pvtimes.com. On Twitter: @dariasokolova77

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nevada sees record jump in COVID-19 cases

Nevada reported over 3,000 for the first time on Wednesday as travel ramps up across the country during the holiday season.

Child porn suspect arrested

A Pahrump woman was arrested following a child porn investigation.

Pahrump man faces animal abuse charges

Nye County Sheriff’s Office deputies and animal control officers are investigating two reports of alleged animal abuse.

Community Thanksgiving event offering free holiday meals

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and for the Pahrump Holiday Task Force, it’s going to be a busy one as the committee prepares, packages and distributes hundreds of free Thanksgiving dinners, complete with traditional turkey and tasty trimmings.

Recall effort comes to a close in Nye County

November is coming to a rapid close and with its December 3 deadline looming, Battle Born Patriots is wrapping up its effort aimed at recalling Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak.

GOED project will connect tech firms to grant programs

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development has expanded a program statewide through Nevada’s two universities to help technology entrepreneurs earn federal grant funding to support early-stage development of their businesses or innovations.

Sisolak taps Gibson for Gaming Control Board

Gov. Steve Sisolak has announced the appointment of J. Brin Gibson to the Gaming Control Board and designated him to serve as the new chair and executive director. Gibson will fill a vacancy left after the departure of Sandra Douglass Morgan and took over as of Nov. 18.

More than $28 milllion in unclaimed property returned

Nevada State Treasurer Zach Conine on Thursday announced the return of more than $28.5 million in unclaimed property to Nevadans by the Treasurer’s Office Unclaimed Property Division.

Gaming win down by double-digit percentages for 8th straight month

Gaming Control Board numbers show Southern Nevada casinos faring worse than their northern counterparts with significant declines on the Strip and in downtown Las Vegas.

Red Cross offers tips for safe holiday season

Thanksgiving promises to be different this year from any other, and the American Red Cross reminds everyone to include important safety ingredients as part of holiday activities.