Sanders Winery will kick off the weekend with a show by Tommy Thompson in a return performce Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
A Broadway-style music review, “An Adventure in Time,” is scheduled Aug. 3 in the courtyard. The show features Lynn Peterson & the Phatt Kattz performing songs from the Roaring 20s, through the war and into the 50s and 60s.
Tickets for both performances are $15 per show, per person. Doors open at 6 p.m. for free wine tasting and participants are welcome to bring snacks or a picnic.
Call 727-1776 for reservations.
• Pahrump local J. Neil Schulman published his novel “Alongside Night” in 1979.
The book has been made into a movie and stars Kevin Sorbo of “Hercules” fame.
The screenplay, written and produced by Schulman, follows the storyline of the book. It foretells the story of the economic collapse of America, as seen through the eyes of 16-year-old Elliot Vreeland, who is searching for his Nobel-prize-winning economist father.
The movie is being endorsed by Ron Paul and Milton Freidman.
A press release stated the movie was filmed in Las Vegas and has been getting good reviews around the country. “Even Steven Forbes of Forbes Magazine has seen it.”
Schulman agreed to screen the production here as a courtesy to his home town.
The event scheduled for Saturday, will be preceded by a potluck barbecue beginning at noon, followed by the movie at 2 p.m. in the Nye County Republican Central Committee office, 3370 S. Highway 160, Suite 6.
• Another free movie, this one in Ian Deutch Memorial Park, will begin Saturday at dusk. On the inflatable screen this weekend will be “Skyfall.”
No reports have been received about a showing for “Life of Pi,” which was canceled last Saturday due to high winds and debris.
Please leave the coolers at home. Concessions are available and benefit Trojan sports.
It is an alcohol-, drug- and tobacco-free event.
• Soroptimist International Pahrump Valley is holding a benefit “Chips for Charity” poker tournament beginning at noon Sunday in the poker room of the Pahrump Nugget.
The buy-in is $50. There will be raffles, door prizes and re-buys available and cash prizes will be awarded.
• Next Saturday there will be three metal bands at the Maverick. Beginning at 8 p.m., Wax Pig Melting, Odd Ones Out and The Wretched Sould Kids will put on a show.
• Pahrump will host the annual Pahrump Nevada Open Cribbage Tournament Aug. 16-18 in the Pahrump Nugget Events Center.
Entry fees range in price from $10 for the Saturday Night Special Q, to $60 for Saturday’s main event.
Early registration is appreciated.
Call directors Denise Fortin, 775-209-4444; Norm Nikodym, 909-319-6488 or Pam Pomeroy, 562-929-2901 for more information an to register.