68°F
weather icon Clear

No happy New Year for victim of flames

A space heater may be to blame for a New Year’s Day fire that heavily damaged a home and left two pets dead.

Pahrump Valley Fire Rescue Services were dispatched around 9:29 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a structure fire at 2221 W. McMurray Drive.

When crews arrived, Fire Chief Scott Lewis said they discovered heavy fire conditions showing from a home on the property made up of a combination of double- and single-wide buildings as well as fixed frame structures.

“Upon arrival Medic Five found a heavy fire condition in what was not a single structure, but a number of structures including single, double and fixed frame structures that were tied together to form one residence. There were eight to 10 structures that were tied together to create a single residence,” Lewis explained. “Based on the fire load and fire conditions crews found, a defense exterior attack was mounted and crews did a great job protecting the attached exposure structures and other exposures that were on the property. The fire was placed under control approximately 45 to 50 minutes after our arrival.”

Although fire crews immediately launched a suppression effort to extinguish the blaze, Lewis said they were slightly impeded by several factors, including a live power source leading to the building and the size of the fire discovered upon their arrival.

“Impediments on the suppression effort included live power and an arcing pedestal. We had to create a safe area around the pedestal while we waited for Valley Electric to help us with that, but we otherwise continued our suppression effort,” the fire chief said.

Other issues firefighters had to work around included live ammunition that was discharging in the home as the fire burned, and other materials releasing from a nearby trailer.

Lewis said the fire was first reported to PVFRS after the sole occupant of the structure said they heard a loud popping sound.

“The single occupant was home and said they heard a large popping sound and went to investigate it and found the room involved in fire,” Lewis said. “The investigation revealed it was most likely an accidental fire, possibly related to the use of a space heater and/or the electrical arcing supplying power to that space heater.”

There were no human injuries to report from the blaze, but Lewis said it was believed two dogs died in the fire.

The fire chief said it appeared approximately 50 percent of the home was damaged by the flames, which is about where fire crews found it when they arrived on scene.

“The crews really did an outstanding job protecting both the attached exposures and the detached exposures on the property,” Lewis said.

As this fire was likely related to the use of a space heater, Lewis said it is a reminder to everyone in the community to always be vigilant when using a space heater and to remember to never overload electrical outlets or extension cords.

THE LATEST
Got the best tacos in town? How to enter Pahrump Taco Fest 2024

Tastebuds are set to be dancing in delight as the Pahrump Taco Fest makes its much-anticipated return to the valley. There is still time for competitors to sign up for a chance at the coveted title of best tacos in town.

Youths can now remain in care of kin under foster care changes

The new change paves a path to allow family members who are caring for a child to access the same financial resources from the state as traditional foster care providers.

GALLERY: What you missed at the Community Baby Shower

The 3rd annual event included activities and games, such as face painting, Find the Baby and Don’t Say Bay-Bee, adding an element of fun.

Plan for medical waste treatment plant draws public outcry

A proposal by MediWaste Disposal LLC to bring a medical waste treatment facility to the valley has touched off a wave of public unrest, with a crowd of Pahrump residents flocking to the latest Nye County Commission meeting to express their displeasure.

3 motorcyclists killed in US 95 crash near Goldfield

Three motorcyclists who died in a crash along US 95 about 2 miles south of Goldfield last week have been identified as Benny Hall, 52, of Tonopah; Jeffery Hicks, 72, of Goldfield; and Frank Winkler, 54, of Linton, Ind.

How Pahrump is remembering its heroes this Memorial Day weekend

Though it has become widely known as the unofficial kickoff of summer, two local veterans’ organizations are helping ensure the real meaning of Memorial Day is not lost among the fun of pool parties and cookouts.

Groundbreaking set for new Tonopah elementary school

A ground-breaking ceremony is set for the construction of the new $25 million Tonopah Elementary School beginning at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, May 29

Nye schools seek retirees to fill some critical vacancies

Even as school officials announced the retirement of more than a dozen teachers and other personnel on Monday night, they hope some veteran workers and retirees will consider returning to fill essential roles in the district.