35°F
weather icon Clear

Pahrump fire victims speak about ordeal

Though Pahrump resident Daniel Taylor and his wife Rebecca managed to escape death with just the clothes on their backs, both lamented losing all of their belongings in the aftermath of Tuesday’s structure fire on the 900 block of Wilson Road.

Adding to their respective shock is the fact that the couple’s two pets succumbed to the smoke and flames.

Taylor said he had less than a minute to get out of his motorhome before it was completely consumed by fire.

He credited one of his neighbors with saving his life.

“I was sleeping and my neighbor came running around screaming that there was a fire and told me to get out,” he said as he watched fire crews work to extinguish the raging inferno. “I didn’t know what she was talking about it first because I did not see any smoke or flames. I then put my shoes on and walked out and saw that the trailer next to us was completely engulfed in flames. I just know of one lady who lived there and she was able to get out.”

Tragic ending

Regarding the couple’s pets, Taylor was on the verge of tears when describing his failed effort to save the animals, two Yorkshire Terriers.

“We had two five-month-old puppies inside with us,” he said. “When my neighbor told me to get out, I wasn’t thinking and I just ran out the door. By the time I walked to the front of the trailer, I thought about our dogs. I turned around, but everything was engulfed, so I couldn’t do anything for them.”

Out of work

Adding to the couple’s tragedy is the fact that the Taylors, both four-year residents of Pahrump, are local painters and lost all of their equipment to the flames.

“I have no idea what we are going to do now because we both live on a very limited income of about $500 a month,” he said. “That’s why we lived in a motorhome, now we don’t even have that. The fire did not start in our motorhome. It started in the trailer right behind us. All of our photographs and belongings, everything we had is now gone. We have our pickup truck, but that’s it. My painting equipment was behind the trailer, and that’s gone too. Essentially, our livelihoods have been taken away by all this. We are grateful to be alive, but this whole thing was just terrible. I don’t know where we are going to stay right now. I have no idea.”

Frantic warning

Seven-year Pahrump resident Diane Walker and her son Clayton also live on the Wilson Road property.

Walker said she too, was alerted to the fire by a neighbor, while her son was not home at the time.

“I heard a loud noise and my air conditioning turned off,” Walker said. “I opened the door and some lady who had hair dye in her hair was screaming for me to get out. I started to run out of the house without my shoes, but then I went back in to get my shoes. By the time I put my shoes on and walked out, it was fully engulfed. I was lucky.”

Fire on the horizon

Son Clayton, meanwhile said he was returning home from a visit when he noticed large plumes of black smoke in the distance.

“I was going down Basin Avenue and saw the smoke,” he said. “By the time I got here, just about everything was in flames. The shed behind my trailer was on fire, and that’s when the fire department arrived and started putting out the fire in the motorhome.”

It should also be noted that amazingly, the Walker home somehow escaped the flames, even though it was just a few yards from the other five structures that burned to the ground.

Contact reporter Selwyn Harris at sharris@pvtimes.com. On Twitter: @pvtimes.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Spring Mountain Medical’s toy drive is underway

The Christmas spirit is alive and well at Pahrump’s Spring Mountain Medical as doctors and staff are coordinating a toy drive once again this year.

Pahrump’s dust problem drawing state attention, again

Though officials insisted it was not intended to be a threat, a warning of sorts was issued to Nye County last month when an air quality specialist explained that the county must keep a tight handle on its dust problem, otherwise outside governmental agencies could come in to enforce dust control restrictions and regulations.

Search warrant nets arrest at Amargosa Valley facility

Several reports of alleged physical and sexual abuse at an Amargosa Valley behavioral health facility has prompted a Nye County Sheriff’s Office investigation, where at least one person was arrested, according to Lt. Adam Tippetts.

Meadows Bank net income up 21%

Meadows Bank, headquartered in Las Vegas and operating a branch in Pahrump, announced that it posted net income after tax of $13,739,900 in the first nine months of 2019.

Library gun ban proposal is set for consideration in Pahrump

The Pahrump Community Library Board of Trustees is set to address a very contentious issue, a possible ban on guns in the library’s story room, at its next meeting on Monday, Dec. 9.

Search is on for missing Death Valley area hiker

Harsh winter weather conditions are hampering the search for a missing hiker in Death Valley National Park.

Project at Duck Ponds in Pahrump

The duck ponds at the Nye County and town administration building at the Calvada Eye will be undergoing a thorough cleaning and repair project during the next couple of weeks, town government announced in a Dec. 3 Facebook post.