58°F
weather icon Clear

Sandoval says he won’t run for Reid’s U.S. Senate seat

CARSON CITY — Gov. Brian Sandoval announced Tuesday he will not run for the U.S. Senate in 2016, saying he wanted to give “undivided attention” to an economically recovering Nevada rather than seek new office in Washington.

Sandoval’s decision was widely expected but still noteworthy in the jockeying to fill the Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Sen. Harry Reid.

It deprives Republicans of their top choice and their most formidable candidate as they try to grab a Senate seat away from Democrats. But Sandoval, who won re-election as governor in a landslide last year, had sent signals in recent months he might not be interested in a new job, and his announcement in a statement early Tuesday only made it official.

“In 1984, Nevada Senator Paul Laxalt gave me the opportunity of a lifetime to serve as a legislative intern in his office in Washington, D.C.,” Sandoval said in a statement. “Coming from humble beginnings, the experience changed my life and charted me on a path of public service. It never occurred to me then that I would someday have an opportunity to be a candidate for the United States Senate.

“I have said many times that it is an honor and a privilege to serve as Nevada’s chief executive and that I love my job. My heart is in my responsibilities as governor and continuing to build the New Nevada. My undivided attention must be devoted to being the best governor, husband and father I can be.

“For these reasons, I will not seek the United States Senate seat that will be available in 2016,” Sandoval said.

Attention immediately turned to Republican Rep. Joe Heck, who has been courted by party leaders assuming Sandoval would take a pass. At first uninterested, Heck more recently is said to be leaning in favor of a Senate campaign.

“We’ve given this a lot of thought, now that the governor has announced he is not running we will give it additional consideration,” Heck said. “I appreciate the outpouring of support and encouragement — we’ll make an announcement very soon.”

Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison said Tuesday he won’t be a candidate for the Senate seat either and he promised to support whoever wins the GOP nod.

National Republican officials and U.S. Sen. Dean Heller had called on Sandoval to seek the seat that will have been held by Reid for the past 30 years. Reid is backing former Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto as the Democratic nominee for the seat.

Heller said in a statement that he supports Sandoval’s decision.

“Under his leadership, our state’s economy continues to experience the Nevada comeback that we all know it is capable of achieving,” he said. “While Governor Sandoval’s voice and experience would have been a welcomed addition here on Capitol Hill, I join the entire Nevada family in wishing him success for the duration of his term in office.”

In Washington, a Democratic spokesman said Sandoval passing up the race increases the chances the Nevada seat will remain in his party’s hands.

“We’re thrilled that we have a fantastic candidate in Catherine Cortez Masto running in Nevada and the GOP’s failure to land their top choice further complicates their ability to win a single Democratic seat this cycle,” said Justin Barasky, communications director for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Republicans have viewed Nevada as an opportunity to pick up a seat in an election cycle where they otherwise are playing defense. Republicans hold 24 out of the 34 seats being put before voters in 2016.

In an interview the day after the legislative session ended, Sandoval reiterated his previous comment to his current position, saying being governor was the greatest job he could hope for. Sandoval was re-elected to a second four-year term as governor in a landslide in November. He will be termed out by 2018.

“I’m proud of what’s been accomplished and what we’ve done,” he said.

Sandoval has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate for former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. Bush said in a recent trip to Reno that it is much too soon to talk about potential running mates.

With Reid’s surprise announcement in March not to seek another term, the open seat has drawn a lot of attention from Democrats and Republicans. Rep. Dina Titus, D-Nev., recently announced she would not run for the seat but instead seek re-election.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nevada sees record jump in COVID-19 cases

Nevada reported over 3,000 for the first time on Wednesday as travel ramps up across the country during the holiday season.

Child porn suspect arrested

A Pahrump woman was arrested following a child porn investigation.

Pahrump man faces animal abuse charges

Nye County Sheriff’s Office deputies and animal control officers are investigating two reports of alleged animal abuse.

Community Thanksgiving event offering free holiday meals

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and for the Pahrump Holiday Task Force, it’s going to be a busy one as the committee prepares, packages and distributes hundreds of free Thanksgiving dinners, complete with traditional turkey and tasty trimmings.

Recall effort comes to a close in Nye County

November is coming to a rapid close and with its December 3 deadline looming, Battle Born Patriots is wrapping up its effort aimed at recalling Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak.

GOED project will connect tech firms to grant programs

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development has expanded a program statewide through Nevada’s two universities to help technology entrepreneurs earn federal grant funding to support early-stage development of their businesses or innovations.

Sisolak taps Gibson for Gaming Control Board

Gov. Steve Sisolak has announced the appointment of J. Brin Gibson to the Gaming Control Board and designated him to serve as the new chair and executive director. Gibson will fill a vacancy left after the departure of Sandra Douglass Morgan and took over as of Nov. 18.

More than $28 milllion in unclaimed property returned

Nevada State Treasurer Zach Conine on Thursday announced the return of more than $28.5 million in unclaimed property to Nevadans by the Treasurer’s Office Unclaimed Property Division.

Gaming win down by double-digit percentages for 8th straight month

Gaming Control Board numbers show Southern Nevada casinos faring worse than their northern counterparts with significant declines on the Strip and in downtown Las Vegas.

Red Cross offers tips for safe holiday season

Thanksgiving promises to be different this year from any other, and the American Red Cross reminds everyone to include important safety ingredients as part of holiday activities.