96°F
weather icon Clear

Court dismisses Nevada background check lawsuit against Sandoval, Laxalt

A judge this week dismissed a lawsuit claiming that Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and Attorney General Adam Laxalt did not do enough to enforce a law to expand background checks on gun sales.

Known as Question 1, the Background Check Act was approved by voters in 2016 but never implemented because Laxalt determined that the law requiring FBI checks could not be enforced.

“The court’s 22-page decision reaffirms what my office has been saying all along — that the Act ‘is unenforceable as written,’” Laxalt said in a statement. “This is not because of anything that I or other Nevada officials have failed to do; in the words of the Court, we have ‘undertaken a real and substantial effort to implement the law.’ Rather, it is a result of Question 1’s flawed drafting.”

Question 1, which passed by less than 1 percentage point, requires background checks on private-party gun transfers, similar to sales made when someone buys a gun through a federally licensed dealer.

But unlike with retail sales, the initiative states that dealers conducting background checks for private transfers use the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The FBI said it would not conduct the background checks because a state cannot enforce how federal resources are used, among other reasons.

Sandoval and Laxalt were sued by Nevada residents Dale Zusi, Vicki Delatorre and Sydney Gordon in Clark County District Court soon after the Route 91 Harvest Festival shooting in October.

Laxalt’s office issued an opinion on Dec. 28, 2016, stating that Question 1 could not be implemented without the FBI’s cooperation. Nevada ballot measures cannot be altered for the first three years after they are approved by voters, so lawmakers could rework the law after November 2019.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nye County responds to DA employee termination

A complaint filed against Nye County with the state-run Nevada Local Government Employee’Management Relations Board is set to move onto a hearing in early December—barring a resolution in an August settlement conference.

Opportunity opens for young adults seeking high-tech careers in Nevada

Recent high school graduates, high school students that are at least 18 and post-secondary students in Nevada dreaming big of entering careers in some of state’s emerging industries could get a chance to meet the people already living the reality in sectors such as mining, urban farming, advanced manufacturing and other fields.

Nye County District Attorney’s Report

Editor’s note: The Nye County District Attorney’s Report is provided by the office of DA Chris Arabia. Plans call for it to be provided on a monthly basis as the information becomes available. Duplicate names represent separate cases.

Reward for info on pool vandalism in Pahrump

A $500 reward is in place for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the person/people responsible for vandalism that closed Pahrump’s Community Swimming Pool for four days starting on Independence Day, a government official said Wednesday.

California Lottery

No one matched all five numbers and the mega number in the Wednesday, July 10 drawing of the California Super Lotto. The next jackpot will be at least $61 million.

Possible earthquake link in Pahrump man’s death

The death of a Pahrump resident may be related to an earthquake last week near Ridgecrest, California, according to the Nye County Sheriff’s Office.

Back to School Health Fair set for new location in Pahrump

It may seem as if the summer vacation for Nye County students has only just begun but, with just one month left until children head back to their academic pursuits, it is already time for parents to begin readying their students for the return to school.