51°F
weather icon Mostly Cloudy

Inyo County: child dies from a brain-eating amoeba

Inyo County health officials are warning area residents of what’s described as a “brain-eating” amoeba, related to the death of a child from Southern California.

Stated in a media release from Inyo County Health and Human Services, the child died after being diagnosed with an extremely rare infection known as primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Additionally, testing was positive for evidence of Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism commonly known as the brain-eating amoeba.

Humans, according to the release, become infected when water containing Naegleria fowleri enters the nose, usually while swimming or diving.

“People do not get infected by drinking contaminated water,” according to the release. “In the nose, the amoeba migrates to the brain along the olfactory nerve, through a bony plate in the skull called the cribriform plate, where it reaches the brain and begins to destroy brain tissue. The amoeba has never been shown to have spread from one person to another.”

As stated on the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office social media page, the child’s only known water exposure during the incubation period was believed to be at one of the natural water ponds at Hot Ditch, a popular hot springs soaking area south of Bishop, California.

The community is located 222 miles northwest of Pahrump.

Symptoms of PAM, according to health officials start quickly, usually within days of exposure, and include, headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, and a stiff neck.

Latter symptoms include confusion, lack of attention, loss of balance, seizures, and hallucinations.

“After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within three to seven days,” the release noted. “This microscopic amoeba is from a single-cell class of organisms known as protozoa. They are common, naturally occurring organisms that normally feed on bacteria and tend to live in warm bodies of fresh water. They thrive when temperatures are high and water levels are low. PAM infections have been reported worldwide.”

On the issue of remaining safe from the malady, officials from the Centers for Disease Control, (CDC), the only certain way to prevent a Naegleria fowleri infection is to refrain from water-related activities in or with warm, untreated or poorly treated fresh water.

Inyo County Health Officer Dr. James Richardson, emphasizes that there have been no evident cases of ameba contamination in the U.S. in well-maintained, properly treated swimming pools.

The recent death, according to Inyo County officials is the second PAM case linked to untreated recreational water sources in Inyo County in recent years.

In 2015, a 21-year-old succumbed to PAM after swimming in a private, untreated swimming pool in southern Inyo County.

In the U.S., there have been 34 cases reported in the United States during the period 2008-2017.

Contact reporter Selwyn Harris at sharris@pvtimes.com. Follow @sharrispvt on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Nevada police agencies to receive grant monies

At least $1.4 million in a Community Policing Development (CPD) program will make its way to Nevada to help support law enforcement officers.

VICTOR JOECKS: How Joe Biden stole Christmas

Christmas classics would be a lot different if they had been written during President Joe Biden’s administration.

Motorcycle crash prompts Mercy Air response

A structure fire on the 4400 block of East Paiute Boulevard prompted the response of Pahrump Valley Fire and Rescue Services crews.

Mizpah rates high in list of haunted stops

Under an agreement between conservationists and a federal agency, a finding must be issued by the end of the month.

 
Sisolak prepares for ‘heated year’ ahead of 2022 election

Gov. Steve Sisolak, in an interview at the governor’s mansion in Carson City, said he prays daily for guidance in handling the COVID pandemic.

Beatty VFW Memory Garden Dedicated

The Beatty VFW Memory Garden is now open and was dedicated Oct. 9 during the VFW post’s Fall Festival, which featured food, art and craft booths, and a silent auction.

Airport signs to soon show ‘Harry Reid’ as new name

Work could commence soon on updating signage at McCarran International Airport to reflect the name change to Harry Reid International Airport.

Ground turkey products recalled

Butterball, LLC, a Mount Olive, N.C. establishment, is recalling approximately 14,107 pounds of ground turkey products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically blue plastic, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).

Nevada Highway Patrol receives $100k public safety grant

By putting in additional efforts to combat drunk and distracted drivers along Silver State roadways, the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Highway Patrol Division has received a grant in the amount of $100,000 from the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Office of Traffic Safety for targeted DUI enforcement campaigns during the coming year.