Man arrested after firing shot at sheriff’s deputy in Amargosa

A man was arrested Sunday after he allegedly fired a shot in the direction of a law enforcement officer.

Ricardo Perez-Gomez, an undocumented worker, was taken into custody and charged with 13 preliminary counts including assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, possession of firearm under the influence, discharging a firearm on public highway, felony eluding, discharging a firearm from vehicle and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, seven counts, according to the Nye County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident began at 9:27 a.m. when a white truck was seen driving recklessly in a ditch in the area of State Route 373 and mile marker 5 near Amargosa Valley, according to police.

When a sheriff’s deputy attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver accelerated in an attempt to elude the deputy. After traveling around 100 yards, Perez-Gomez brandished a semi-automatic handgun out the window firing a single round, according to the deputy.

Perez-Gomez continued northbound on Gillian at a high rate of speed, while the sheriff’s deputy followed the vehicle, which ending up parked at the Amargosa Dairy. When Perez-Gomez saw the deputy still in pursuit of him he fled once again at a high rate of speed onto G Ranch Road.

The vehicle proceeded to park behind a residence on G Ranch road, where Perez-Gomez exited the vehicle and began walking down the road.

Deputies made contact with Perez-Gomez, who admitted that he was driving the white truck, and identified himself.

During their initial conversation with Perez-Gomez, deputies could smell a strong odor of an unknown alcoholic beverage coming from the suspect.

The deputies asked Perez-Gomez if he had any weapons and he stated that he had a lot of guns in his house and a shotgun inside his truck, according to police.

During a consent search deputies found several weapons and on the inside of the truck deputies discovered a loaded shotgun and a spent 9mm shell casing.

Perez-Gomez was taken into custody and transported to the Nye County Detention Center without further incident, where he is being held on $47,177 bond.

Contact reporter Mick Akers at On Twitter: @mickakers

Add Event