58°F
weather icon Clear

Community

Dishwasher saves choking diner at Pahrump Senior Center

Adrienne Fors says she was eating pork and rice when she literally bit off more than she could chew. “When I tried to swallow, it went down my throat and then then it got caught with the curve of my throat. Thank goodness Troy was there to do the Heimlich on me.”

Pahrump Holiday Task Force gearing up for Community Easter Picnic

The Pahrump Holiday Task Force has just one mission, that of bringing the community together for holiday celebrations throughout the year, and with Easter less than a month away, the nonprofit group is gearing up for its next big shindig.

THE LATEST
Superbloom or not, Death Valley beckons in springtime — PHOTOS

Fields of ephemeral wildflowers aren’t expected this year at Death Valley, but the nearby national park’s rock-solidly stunning geology never takes time off.

‘Don’t fence me in’ — Beatty says solar projects just not a match for town

BEATTY — People here on the whole, continue to oppose the development of solar-energy projects in areas near the town. A sizable crowd showed up for the Beatty Town Advisory Board’s Utility Scale Solar Projects Workshop on Monday, Feb. 27 where Nye County Director of Planning Brett Waggoner told them that he was there to get their input. “It’s your meeting,” he said. “I just want it to be productive.”

PAHRUMP | Ways to connect in our community

Quilters, beaders, Bible readers, environmental activists and overeaters, LGTBQ’ers, book nerds, foodies…these groups and causes will help you engage with your neighbors and find a kindred community.

SPORTSMAN’S QUEST: Luxury hunting in Spain

There are hunts and there are tough hunts with tents and freeze-dried food on the campfire; all are adventures. Then there’s Spain. Columnist Dan Simmons takes us there.

Pahrump | Upcoming events

SATURDAY, JAN. 7

DAN SIMMONS: The hunt for new possibilities

It’s a new year with new opportunities and possibilities. Now it is time to set our priorities and make plans. My friend Bill Wilson did just that this past year as he set his sights on an African Cape Buffalo safari in Zimbabwe.

PHOTOS: Community Christmas Eve Dinner serves 700-plus

Taking place on Christmas Eve, Saturday, Dec. 24, the Community Christmas Dinner saw a large turnout of hundreds of area residents and visitors, all of whom were greeted with enthusiasm by an army of volunteers.